Bunions occur in and around the big toe. A bunion is a deformity of the foot in which one or more of the following may occur:
1) the big toe angles towards the smaller toes
2) the big toe rotates so that the bottom of the toe faces the smaller toes instead of the ground
3) a bump develops at the base of the big toe (top and inner side of foot)
4) the metatarsal bone (behind the big toe) angles towards the mid line of the body
5) the smooth gliding surfaces of the joint (cartilage)breaks down, causing a form of arthritis
Each person’s Bunion is different, and any or all of the conditions listed above may occur. They tend to progress over
time causing each condition to become more noticeable.